My friend was amazed when I told him that I used no medication, had no prescriptions and didn't have regularly scheduled doctor appointments. What shocked him the most was when he realized that I am six years older than he is.
Of course he wanted to know how that could be and what I did to stay so healthy. From that discussion I will share the 10 tips I gave my friend.
Following are ten things that you can do to promote optimal nutrition:
1. Watch what you eat. Your meals should consist of a healthy daily balance of foods. Knowing your nutritional needs and not eating too much or too little can lead to a more balanced lifestyle. This doesn't mean that I don't enjoy a good pizza now and then or a sweet tasty dessert. I just enjoy in moderation.
2. Sleep. When you are sleep-deprived, your body begins to shut down. Make sure that you feel rested from getting an adequate amount of sleep. This will allow your body to function at a consistent and optimal speed every day.
3. Take vitamins and supplements. Paying attention to where your diet feels lacking. Once you have determined this, you can compensate with vitamins and supplements. I personally use Centrum Silver as my daily vitamin and a glass or two of V8 to supplement my vegetable intake.
4. Exercise. You should exercise at least three to five times per week. Exercise helps your body to build muscle, lose weight and can help prevent illness and disease. Even walking daily will help improve your health and increase your stamina. Adopt a dog and take them on daily walks, a dog is a great motivator for getting out and walking!
5. Fight addictions. Avoid over or under eating, eat nutritionally balanced meals . Use alcohol and nicotine in moderation or stop using both. Over indulgence can easily disrupt your nutritional balance and cause serious problems. Having a glass of wine or beer daily may have it's health benefits but again enjoy in moderation.
6. Keep learning. There are several different definitions of improving health. Improving heath not only means diets, but there are holistic approaches that can be a part of your lifestyle. Keep researching and studying to determine what is and is not effective to help you in improving and maintaining your health. Continuous learning also keeps your mind healthy and keeps you feeling young.
7. Stay motivated. It is easy to begin working on improving our health and it is also easy to discontinue once we don’t see immediate results. A major aspect of improving your health is remaining consistent and motivated in your activities. It is important to make health care an every day priority. Set easily obtainable daily, weekly and monthly goals.
8. Get the right body measurements. Getting your body mass index taken, as well as finding where you need to focus your efforts in order to improve health can help you in staying motivated in improving your health.
9. Build a network. A network includes not only those that can provide information for you, but also support and assist you in building and maintaining health. I enjoy taking my dog along on my weekly hiking groups hikes.
10. Consult. There are a variety of health care providers and nutritionists that can help you. If you are uncertain about necessary steps to take, get in touch with the right person to determine what you need to do.
Choosing a healthy lifestyle can benefit you in several ways. It gives you a boost of energy and makes your body feel more in tune. It is important to identify ways you can improve your health. You can help yourself to live a more fulfilled life by consistently working towards improving your health. By knowing what you need to do and by following those steps, you can be assured that you will attain better nutrition and energy.
Have a confident and healthy day!